Tuesday, July 6, 2010

BIRD!


I went to the High Museum the other day. I really don't like the High, it's expensive and the permanent collection is pretty pathetic. The layout is like something out of Escher's sketchbook, there are staircases that seem to go nowhere and bridges that exist only on certain days of the week and you need a degree in advanced cartography just to be able to understand the maps to navigate your way around the bloody place. However, I went with the boyfriend to see the cars exhibit, which was actually pretty cool, I think that watching Scoop's eyes get all big every time we turned a corner was the most fun though. After about an hour I snuck off to go check out the european design exhibit. mostly this was like wandering through Ikea, lots of plastic and patterns, but there were a few things that made me go "ooooo, I want to make that!" like the book shelf that was an enormous pile of furniture and musical instruments glued together and painted black, and the floorlamp that had a gul's wing instead of a shade...my first thought was to run home and start piling and gluing furniture like a mad woman with an industrial sized glue gun, then I realized that my roommate might not be oh so amused by my construction... but the birdlamp... that I can make! I think it was a real wing though, and not having access to sea birds or a desire to learn taxidermy, I decided to make a trip to Michael's to buy up all the feathers and make one myself!
So far I have half a wing (I need more feathers). next I need to actually figure out how I will turn this into a lamp shade as right now it's just a wing... also it looks pretty flammable or at least like it might release some pretty nasty gases when the wide array of glues I used on the already pretty flammable materials heat up and combine when wrapped around a 60 watt light bulb...

No comments:

Post a Comment